This exercise asked to create a tattoo around the word “MUM” for a friend. The design should then also be used for a greeting card.
The tattoo trends in 2018 (here for men) include a variety of motivs and styles, but I find that a majority goes back from having super bold tattoos, but rather focuses on more elegant and subtle tattoos with thinner lines.
I then discovered this Korean trend of the minimalist tattoo. See some examples here, here, or here. Basically the idea is to have a tiny and minimalist tattoo. I find them very sweet too look and very pleasing because of their delicate design, they are usually quite well done. They often are placed at a body part that is hidden.
The latter was the style I wanted to go for in my tattoo project because I like the delicate lines.
My sketchbook shows a few examples of different type and viusals that I tried out. I then focused on the small heart next to the letters MUM, as well as some options to design the greeting cards.
Final designs – visualized as a tattoo and as a greeting card
Here’s what my minimalist design would look like on a wrist. I find that it goes in line with the minimalistic tattoo trend.
- Tattoos are quite an interesting area and offer a large range for artists to express themselves and their clients.
- I decided for a very simple design, and I’m sure a more complex one would have been a bit more work in terms of exploring ideas and ompooitions. However, when I learned about the Korean minimalist tattoo trend I was hocked and wanted to create something in this style.
- I found it quite helpful to already know from the beginning that the design should also be made into a greeting card. Otherwise I might have decided for a different design option.
- Generally, I’m not a big fan of tattoos, so I found it difficult to imagine a large tattoo dedicated to a person’s mother.
- Jules’ Top-Five Korean Tattoo Trends. Published on Jan 5, 2018. URL
- Boredpanda.com. “13+ Minimalist Tattoos By A Korean Artist” by Vaiva. URL
- Theculturetrip.com. “15 Minimalist Tattoo Designs from South Korea’s Burgeoning Tattoo Scene” by Mimsie Ladner. Published on July 12, 2017. URL
- Desired.de”Das sind die 9 wichtigsten Tattoo-Trends 2018″. Published on April 10, 2018. URL
- GQ. “Tattoo-Trends für Männer”. URL
- GQ. “Maori Tattoos: ihre Geschichte und die Bedeutung der Symbole”. URL
- Deavita.com. “Polynesische Maori Tattoos: Bedeutung der Tribalsmotive”. URL
- YouTube. “The History of Tattoos in 3 Minutes” by Thought Monkey. Published on July 26, 2018. URL
- “The History of Tattoos Throughout the World.” by FATIMZHRA EL ADNANI. Published on Oct 9, 2018. URL